Monday, January 30, 2006

REDNECKS ! !

Rednecks. The word has come to mean white trash, or tobacco spitting good ole boys who can't spit past the bib of their overalls. Or fat drunks wearing wife beaters, with a pregnant wife and a passel of kids running around in their dirty diapers, or wearing a tee shirt without any pants in a filthy single wide trailer with no screen on the windows and the front door open to catch any errant breeze.

Pictures are passed around the internet like these;

http://boortz.com/more/funny/redneck_pics.html

(If I knew how, I'd upload them myself, but because I'm a computer retard you'll have to do your own surfing.)

Funny stuff.. humans are amazingly inventive and creative but sometimes you have to wonder if they really thought that thru or if they didn't why you didn't think of something fun like that.

Maybe it's because I'm getting older and looking back in nostalgic rose colored glasses, but I can remember when it meant that you worked out in the sun all day. Plowing either behind a mule or on a tractor, cutting and baling hay and then throwing it on the truck or trailer by hand the carrying it to the shed to be unloaded again by hand. Post holes were dug one at at time by hand and the post set in straight and sure and then tamped in with the end of a model T axel rod. (I still have my dad's) You're neck got sunburned and your arms and face, but your hat left a white forehead and your chest under the worn work shirt never saw the light of day.

When a persons word was his bond come hell or high water. When he took care of his family and what he had worked for, the took the time to visit the neighbors and help them if he could. Where the worst thing you could do was have to go on the government dole, and if you did it was just till you could get the next job that came up, even if it was digging ditches.

Where people knew that you had to preserve what surplus you made in the garden so you would have plenty to eat and maybe some to share in the wintertime. I can remember my mother standing hours on end canning soups and beans, okra, corn fresh off the cob. Honey put up in 1/2 gal. jars from the behives in the back pasture. Wood from the untilled acres fed the wood burning stove. Milk from your own cows sat in the Frigidare, and ever refrigerator was call a Frigidare no matter the maker.

My father was a farmer. He had his own dairy, on 300+ acres. A couple hundred head of cattle that had its start in first one, then another, then still more Jersey, Gurnsey, Brown Swiss and eventually one of the best Holstein dairy farms in Georgia.
He got up before the sun, and many days didn't come in until it sat in the west. He was a proud man, a rough man. He had little tolerance for fools. Often I thought he considered me a fool.
I feared his anger. At times I hated the man I saw. But when I was a child I acted as a child. Now that I'm just beginning to grow up a little, I see a different man. A man of the earth. Red with the dust of the field. Red ears and neck from spending long hours in the sun. Struggling to build a business and provide for a family of 6 children. He was independent, proud, quick to take offence.
He was not a perfect human being. His faults were many. He was by God a REDNECK, but, maybe we need more of them today.

White trash of any color are not entitled to the epitath of ... "Redneck".

Oh yes, we grew Kudzu and were proud of it.

No comments: