Monday, September 08, 2008

Just too good, it's almost sinful

In fact I've heard that gluttony is one of the 7 chief Deadly sins.........

Not sure just who came up with the first list, but Evagrius Ponticus 4th century monk put Gluttony in first place. And he listed eight.

I'm guilty of all the rest (though not enough of the second) so might as well be perfect in something.

That being said however, is there anything edible more delicious than a warm slice off a loaf of Banana Nut Bread, with real black walnuts mixed liberally in it, real cow butter smeared atop, pinched off with your fingers so you can lick them afterwards??

Right now, I think not..........well except for the second piece which I have to try really, really hard not to go get. Made me have to get out of the slightly too snug khakis, and slip on the bull moose PJ's with the elastic waistband.

Thomas Aquinas took a more expansive view of gluttony, listing 6 way to commit that one sin.

* Praepropere, eating too soon;
* Laute (washedly), eating finely;
* Nimis, eating too much;
* Ardenter, eating burningly;
* Studiose (keenly), eating daintily;
* Forente (boringly), eating wildly.

I'm guilty of all these also.

Maybe I need to concentrate on some of the other sins more, and gluttony less. Whadda ya think?

1 comment:

Jean said...

I think the others should be given an equal chance :-)

I'd have a very difficult time not having the second piece...especially with butter melting on it.
Oh. Yummmmmmm.