Friday, February 15, 2008

The good life

.
There is.....I think.......within most of us......an often unexpressed desire for just a little bit more adventure then we currently have in our lives. Sometimes it comes a bit later than one expects and people say...."he's having as mid life crisis".
We buy that two door car rather than going for the bigger more sedate four-door. We suddenly decide to take up sky diving or a bungee jump. They quit their jobs. (I'm lucky in that.....not having one in nearly 15 years)

But the urges are there..however expressed. Sometimes they are motivated by more than just the thrill........often there is a financial component to the restlessness.

GM is offering hundreds of thousands of Dollars to union workers to quit their jobs. Major financial giants are threatening to lay of 20 or 30 thousand workers in an effort to stay afloat during the current financial upheaval.
All of these moves by the bigger fish cause ripples that are felt by smaller fish....... The independent homebuilder or restaurant owner. Maybe Wal-mart moved out of they older location around which several smaller businesses had flourished and moved to the outskirts of a town to a super center which not only cut the traffic to their former neighbors but directly competes for their business.

Costs must be cut..........health insurance is lost....the future is even more uncertain than once believed.

And some people wake up to the idea that their feet are not nailed to the floor. While our neighbors to the south are encouraging their poor to migrate northward.......people are beginning to look SOUTH

and I wonder what it would be like?

Certainly the allure is there. Who wouldn't like to live in a tropical paradise where the cost of everything is less and you wouldn't have to put up with the general feeling that the world is going to hell in a hand basket here no matter how you vote.....and maybe you should just get out of Dodge.

On the other hand..........does the lower cost of living provide enough extra funds to either visit the kids and grandkids or bring them to you occasionally? What about the support system you have built around you over a period of years? You can hardly afford to come back to visit your favorite barber.......can you?.

Can you learn enough of the local language to tell the gardener you can now employ that you're having chest pains and a throbbing in your left arm?

Just wondering?

2 comments:

Jean said...

This is not too unlike my last post.
New horizons look beautiful from a distance, but what will be the reality once we make the leap?
Roll the dice... spin the wheel.
Scares the crap outta me right now, even though I know change is going to come. How much control do I have? How much control will I take? Seems there are no guarantees for anything in life.

LBJ said...

I took the big leap when I left being an airline pilot to a initial 30% pay cut to do what I do now. Yet I have a control over my life I never had, and though I may be one conservative cog in a big political machine, I know I make a difference. To one person, to one group of people, once.

So I eat out less, and reload my own ammo more. But I have time to write, and I never did before. I have a cleared head and a drive that goes beyond keeping up with the Jonses and is more keeping up with my own code of honour. There are things one must do to live the life you earned. Some call for sacrifice. Yet all renew your fire.

It's worth it.