Monday, March 17, 2008

Batchalor cooking

While mama's away taking care of the elder daughter whilst she is recuperating from surgery........the ol' grump and I have to sorta fend for ourselves.....with me being the one to make sure he eats on a regular basis and semi-sorta-kinda wholesome type of food. Of course his lunch always consists of a biscuit and bottle of Boost. I have noticed him scrounging a bite of pound cake or a milky way bar in between times.
Considering that 3 years ago we wouldn't have taken bets he'd last the week......I'd say he's doing well

Anyhoo, since I have to be in charge of supper and with no money to go to Arby's or Subway......it is my beholden duty to do my best.

Let's see........

We've got 3 cans of Salmon........Eureka.....that's what we'll have....something with salmon.

Alrighty then.........

Preheat oven to 450
3/4 cup each self rising cornmeal and flour.....mixed
Melt whole stick of butter in 1/2 cut water to boil.....pour into meal and flour
Mix well
2/3 cup whole milk mixed in
1 medium onion....chopped.........pour in
1 can mushroom soup (a favorite of mine)........pour in
Mix again
Add 4 hen apples and mix all this mess together
1 lb can of Salmon.......If'n it's only 14 1/2 ounces don't worry as this is approximately 1 troy pound......close enough.
Stir like heck or hell depending on mood
Oh yeah.......I almost forgot........somewhere in all this mixing and stirring add in a pack of frozen English peas or one can if you rather. be sure to drain....or not depending on your preference. Might be a little soggier is all.
Grease a casserole dish big enough to hold all this without it rising and spilling over.
Cook for 40 minutes or you can't stand it any more.......longer if you forget. I set the timer and will adjust according to what it looks like.
I guess you could crumble a few Ritz crackers on top a few minutes before done. Again I'll have to see what it looks like.




Eat till full.......if good. If not eat all you can and give the rest to the dogs.

Tune back in tomorrow when the chef will try to make weiners edible.

Remember to keep the # for poison control posted by the telephone.

7 comments:

Jean said...

oh my... that sounds and looks yummy! Wonder how it would be with cheese melted on top... or covered in a white sauce or gravy?

egads...can you tell I'm starving?

US said...

would you be so kind as to e-mail me about her surgery? please?

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Celular, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://telefone-celular-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

kdzu said...

Sorry Niece,
I don't have your addy on my list. Wife may have it on hers. Talked to one of your aunts who read of it also. I asked her to give you the low down. Hope all is well out there amongst all those weird LDS folk.

Kat said...

oooh, that looks good - I'll have to try that one of these days here pretty soon!

Thanks, almost-neighbor! :)

Anonymous said...

DANG! You are quite the chef! :D

k said...

Yeah, you done good.

Between you and LL you're making everyone hungry.