Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Just getting along

You know how that feels? Just gettin' along.
Nothing too much going wrong. Not much more than usual going right.
That sorta in-between feeling......where you don't want to rock the boat.

And then a cousin calls........1st cousin once removed. They grew up a hundred miles away and so never really knew them until almost grown......about 40 or so. Only really ever seen them maybe a dozen times..............

But......They're cousins...ya know........and there is a bond there that's deeper than the amount of time you spend with them.

And....he's crying......almost incoherent ......and you just know that this is going to be one of those difficult calls........one of those......why me, calls.
But, you soldier up....he's your cousin.....family.......closer than the distance.

His daughter died (aged 36) following complications of a stroke suffered last week which led to bleeding of the brain......surgery.......swelling of the brain......doctors unsure of cause .......and they just ran out of time and options.

Life is like that sometimes......... one day you are posting cute pictures of the grandkids on the blog........the next you are trying to imagine how you would feel if it were your daughter........
I saw the grief on my grandparents and sisters faces when my Dad passed...... and still I can only imagine what it would be like to see your own child lying there in the hospital bed, slowly cooling.......remembering all the times you felt you could have done better........If ONLY
It's always hard at times like that to remember the good.

Ya'll say a little prayer for my cousin David to receive some comfort

Thank you.

5 comments:

Jean said...

Prayers and tears offered.
I'm so sorry.

Kat said...

What jean said.
(hugs)

LBJ said...

There is not getting past that kind of hurt. I've buried a child, as has my best friend, we don't speak of it, we can't. Doesn't matter how old you are, or they, when you have a child its like having your heart walking around outside your body and to lose that leaves a dark gaping hole that only gathers dust even if the years allow you to smile and love again.

My prayers and thoughts go out to your cousin, and you for your support and caring.

kdzu said...

Thanks Ladies,

Lin you're exactly right. But like you.....he'll be alright. We come from sturdy stock.

Anonymous said...

I had starred this in my google reader and meant to say something...I'm so sorry, hon.