Sunday, August 28, 2011

Good Day

It has been a good day here at the Kudzu Grotto. Still 2 hr's + to go, but, I'm sitting here at the keyboard and baring something unforeseen it will go down as one of those good, good days.

I know that some in the north east portions of the country may be a little wet and there were some for whom Irene was a disaster of the highest caliber and my heart goes out to them, but, as long as my sisters in VA and MA, their husbands and children are OK, then I'm happy. Just as I know the rest of you folks throughout the NE are happy that PBO (pres. barry obama) was in charge at the Crisis Center Headquarters. Whatta president.......whatta guy!! Coming home from vacation early just to guide the ship of state through the choppy waters kicked up by Irene.
I can just here them now, up there in the AOP (Asylum On the Potomac), singing in unison..



SWG is sure to love this one.

Anyhoo, the Kudzu wife and I left this morning to visit the little antique store in the school house. That's where she said it was and who was I to argue. We needed a new kitchen table and chairs and that was where she was bound to look. So we did.

We saw many old tables and assorted oddments many of which were of interest, particularly an 1890's buffet in quarter sawn oak which I can only describe as striped, were it maple it would be Tiger Maple, but, it's Oak. I'm sure there is a wood workers term for it, and I should know it, but it escapes me right now.

Something I've always wanted. Now I can say I have one. Great piece, great price, (methinks). It sits in the livingroom. I'll try to post pictures tomorrow.

The Kudzu Wife found her table.....but unfortunately, no chairs to suit her. I can feel another expedition coming soon.

Arriving home we awaited a visit from my Salvadorian buddy, Armando. He walked from Metzapan to the US to escape the civil war there while in his teens. He brings things to sell me on a regular basis.

Today, one of the items was 2 Marine Corp Qualification Badges, ( Sharpshooter, and Bayonet)and an Army Air Corp Instructors Wings from WWII. The wings most caught my attention, being a former Army Aviator myself, albeit from a younger generation. I haven't yet researched the Marine badges but the Wings look like this......



These items will not be shipped off for scrap, but added to my small collection of militaria. Sentimental ol' fool...........that's me.

Much has been going on in kdzu's life of late and the blogging is slow. I have to remember to breath in and out and block most things that threaten my blood pressure. I'll fill you in on some of it later.

1 comment:

Scott McCray said...

Blogging has been slow over at my place as well - regardless, keep the faith, brother.