Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Dusk at the Kudzu Grotto

Five minutes to 9 pm (2055 hours to those still on military time)(0255 Zulu for the aviators).

The sun has been down for a while, things are cooling off. Birds have settled into their night lauger mostly......a few seem to like the cooler temps and are flitting around after mosquitoes or other bugs. In the distance (unlike our previous abode) we can hear the whippoorwills begin to call, taking the memory back to earlier times.

Things winding down.

My self.......I'm enjoying spoonfuls of heaven ( peach cobbler) washed down with some sweet cows milk, with just an inch of crushed ice in the bottom of the glass. Were I still a child the cobbler would be hot with fresh skimmed cream poured over it.
It's a comfort thing........I've had a coolish shower and crawled into my Bull Moose PJ's.

They're watching ghost hunters on the boob tube in the other room. Can there be a greater waste of 60 minutes than watching and listening to the announcer natter on about how they are in Lizzie Borden's old home trying to talk to her ghost.

Today was kinda slow. I went and bought a little scrap to refine. Got back and discovered a half carat diamond in one of the rings. Didn't catch it earlier since it was caked with dirt. Not a very good diamond.......that's why I won't feel so bad taking it back to the young lady. Probably from her disastrous former marriage. Can't blame her for wanting to get rid of it. Maybe next time around someone will consider her worthy of a higher quality stone.........or simply won't be such a cheapskate.

Darkness is deepening as is the calm feeling washing over me. May be the meds kicking in.......or it might be result of finally taking the first tentative steps toward new life...............well, really it's more like I jumped in the deep end again. Wonder if I still know how to swim.

1 comment:

Jean said...

I've heard a man never forgets the breast stroke.

Sleep well.