Saturday, April 12, 2008

We Survived..

.
.......the worst that Mother Nature could throw at us.......

Well....that is if you were listening to the local weather mavens last evening.

Every since a small wind tore the top off of the Georgi Convention Center a few weeks ago every time we get an errant cloud coming our way we get these warnings of Doom and Gloom.

But we all woke up safe and sound this morning listening to the grass grow at supersonic speed. I cranked up the power mower and bush hogged the grass back down to hopefully a size that I can handle with the old fashioned reel mower with only the sound of the blades clicking and my heart thumping to disturb the mating rituals of the Blue Jays and Crows. Please be assured that even though the blood pumping around in my head sounds like a 747 trying to take off at max gross weight..........no blood vessels have popped yet.

That may not be the case for much longer though. (more later)

I had determined that today would be a wasted one. The wife had spent the night at her sisters helping sew some new curtains........so it was cereal for the old grump and Slimfast for me. Oh......didn't I mention that the last weigh in at the VA put me perilously close to breaking the 200 lb mark. Now they do say that muscle weighs more than fat.....and I am big boned from a bit of heavy labor and lifting over the past 30 years..........but there is no excusing the amount of excess flesh I'm carrying around. I may be twice the man I was when I joined the Army back in '69..
......but to weigh almost twice that is intolerable.
So Slimfast is going to be my friend for a while.....along with a sensible dinner of course.

The wasteral day was history when the youngest daughter called and asked if I could come make her clothes dryer stop squeaking. I would have told her to get the husband out of the woods chasing the elusive turkey, but the opportunity to see the Grand daughter outweighed any thoughts of that.

When the obligatory kicking and banging on the appliance didn't do the job....I was reduced to actually examining and taking apart the dryer. Aside from being old....the problem turned out to be about a half inch layer of lint all around the ring the tub runs around on. For my troubles I was rewarded by the opportunity to tickle the grand daughter and draw around her hands and feet with the crayons.
Well that and to hear her squeal "Paw Paw" when I came in the door.

Soon it was almost time for her nap.......as evidenced by the droopy eyelids and crankyness............So

I decided to stop at the local barber shop I'd spotted on the way thru Watkinsville.
Three chairs and little waiting. Unfortunately............

Let me just warn any of you gents who might be traveling through and decide to have your ears lowered............
Don't.....I repeat Don't sit down in the chair closest to the door.....especially if they is an ancient old fart standing behind it who talks and grunts to himself the whole time he is butchering your hair.
My God.......my ears haven't stuck out from my head this much since I was seven.

This just goes to show that when your regular barber is out of town gambling his money away on the Gulf Coast, you should just bite the bullet and wait until he returns. Nobody should have to walk around for the next 3 weeks until the scalped patches (would have been better if I'd had my head shaved) grow back in.

When I got home and had a chance to really look at my haircut, the little veins in the middle of my forehead started to pulse like worms were crawling through them.

Anyway that was my day........and aside from really wanting to go in the kitchen and polish off that honey bun on the counter right now............I seem to have survived.

Hope you did also.

2 comments:

Jean said...

Don't suppose there is any chance we could see a picture of the ears??? nah. Didn't think so.

Most of the time I cut my own hair. Every few years I'll try a professional, and usually regret it.

We might be getting some of the rain ya'll had last night. It is a lovely overcast and temps have dropped into the low 60's. I love it.

Anonymous said...

... never trust an unknown barber, man.... sheesh.....