Monday, November 27, 2006

What is your idea............

......of Retirement?

What would it take for you to hang up the old J. O. B. and tell them to kiss where the sun doesn't shine?

I've held exactly three public jobs in my life after the Army. I hated them all.
I hated to be held to a schedule, to be expected to meet quotas, to bow at the alter of Mammon.

Don't get me wrong I like having money and the things you can do with it. I just would prefer to gather it in my own way and time.

Has this caused some weeping, wailing and gnashing of theeth around the old campfire. Oh hell yes, many times.

I'm not too many years away from that magical day when the government in its infinite wisdom has decreed they will give me a little stipend in return for being a good little worker bee for at least 10 quarters.

I know none of you gentle readers are so dumb as to think you might be able to survive on their largess.

But how do you intend to survive and prosper into your dottage. Will we be at the end a burden on our children? Huuuuummmmm?

Truly it is written:

A good man leaveth an inheritance to his children's children:
and the wealth of the sinner is laid up for the just.

Any way, it would be interestin' to learn what your dream of retirement consists of.

Mine would be to continue to use what little grey matter between my ears as long as I can.

The Comment line is open...............


Don't let the kudzu hold you back.

2 comments:

Jean said...

I seriously doubt that I will ever be able to retire... I hope to be able to supplement my SS money by doing something creative that I can sell... writing, whatever... and, do it in my way, on my own schedule for a change. Wish me luck!

kdzu said...

I know what you mean. SS is going to be probably less than survival if you have any kind of sickness.
I think we have to start where ever we are now, to develop a 2nd income stream that will be low key, and depend not so much on the physical effort but the creative efforts we put forth.