Wednesday, May 02, 2007

The moon......

.
.......is rising full tonight. Kind of orangie yellow due either to a hazy layer of clouds or smog, take your pick.

Many experts poo-poo the idea that the full moon has any effect on peoples behavior.
While Others ascribe quite a bit of significance to it's rising.

I can't tell you if any or all of the studies or theories are correct. All I know is that for a couple of nights before till a couple of nights after the full moon I have trouble sleeping.. I toss and turn, generally the sheets are all wadded up the next morning, I have weird and scary dreams, and am in a state of general unrest for that whole period of time.

Many ER personnel and LEO's report more injuries and mischief during full moons.

One of the saddest things the full moon reminds me of though, is the fact that we haven't returned to the moon with our space program in damn near 35 years. That one fact alone makes me want to howl at those idiots in Mordor-on-the-potomac.

I was in basic training at Fort Polk, Louisiana when the first manned mission blasted off to the moon and returned successfully. Being young and full of optimism for the future, I thought that was the greatest thing in the world.

JFK had laid out the vision of a moon landing early in his presidency at a time when we did not have such a pessimistic attitude towards everything. And by damned we accomplished it. Our country was not so full of pussyfied wimps crying about every little thing going on. To listen to the enviro-nuts or the defeatist's in charge of Washington, DC today, you would be encouraged to either blow your head off to avoid having to face the coming apocalypse, or stick your head up your sphincter so as to hide from the awful truth that mankind is the cause of all the earths ills.

Maybe I'm still a little kid at heart with the attitude that things will continue to progress and life get better, for my kids and grandkids to achieve greater things than I ever imagined.

All I know is that when I look at the moon through my spotting scope, I wish for two things. One, a bigger and better telescope, and two, that I could make a trip to the moon.

4 comments:

Jean said...

heh... you saw my last post. Mood is definitely full-moon affected, IMHO.

kdzu said...

Thanks for the reminder. Hadn't noticed the moon when I commented on that. I always admire your honesty about your feelings. Can't help but be concerned. Know how dark the dark can get. That's when I start to rage. Because I will not go quietly.

Jean said...

I appreciate your concern, Larry.
Sometimes the dark scares me and sometimes it makes me rage too.
Go quietly? Not us. Not hardly.

US said...

Hey, Uncle! When I worked in Army hospitals, the Psyche wards were always full around full moons.