Saturday, July 12, 2008

Are their mouths moving???

In a previous post I gently expressed my displeasure with certain elements within the governmental system currently holding themselves up before us as governmental units and individuals with those units.

I took all the prescribed medications over an hour ago and hopefully they will have lowered my blood pressure to within acceptable limits and fed the other demons sufficient to keep them from gnawing their way out tonight.

I've taken a shower in as cool water as was bearable, the bull moose pj bottoms cover my lily white, hairy legs and scrawny ass. My purple mug of ice water is near at hand.
.........I'm good to go. Just not too far.

There was a half hour earlier of consternation when I clicked on my home page on the computer and it said it wasn't going to talk to me. At first I though I'd been sabotaged by one of those online virus' that people talk about and spammers try to get you to buy their product to prevent happening. But, in the end I just shut the 'puter down and waited through a re-run of Burn Notice on TV, came back cranked 'er up and all was restored as at first. Thank goodness too, because I'd hate to have the repair geek come by and charge me $75 for clicking a few keys.

I've a quote by ol' Teddy Roosevelt there on the left below an old, old picture of me and our youngest daughter back in my shit stomping, cow titty squeezing days.

Teddy was a good ol' boy of the finest sort if you happened to hop-nob with the wealthy set back about a hundert years ago. Called himself the Bull Moose and went around shouting BULLY at every body. Not sure whether he was insulting folks or just pointing them out so as people would give them a wide berth. But he didn't know the meaning of the word quit and he liked to walk around in tennis shoes with a big stick and all, so he sounds like a right good feller.......even if he was part politician (spit, spit, wipe my fingers on the pj'z for having to type that word).

Anyway, 'cause of my admiration of certain characteristics of the ol' boy (by no means all, I was interested in noting that John McCain is labeling himself as a conservative in the Teddy Roosevelt style.

One quote from him: to whit........

“I believe less governance is the best governance, and that government should not do what the free enterprise and private enterprise and individual entrepreneurship and the states can do, but I also believe there is a role for government,” Mr. McCain said. He added: “Government should take care of those in America who can not take care of themselves.”

especially caught my eye.

Everything was good until the last sentence.

Government should take care of those in America who can not take care of themselves.

I am all for helping my fellow man.....or woman, little children, the infirm, the mentally incompetent......but, I do not need the government to hold a gun to my head and decide for me whom I should help. I'm just not sure that is a proper function of government. I can be as free with my own money, time and efforts as I please or not. Should the government force me to, if I consider the project unworthy?

I think not.

The government, which takes by force of laws,from all of us tiny and not so tiny slices of our lives (we after all trade hours of our lives in exchange for money, whether it be earned by the sweat of our backs, our brains, or our creative efforts), should treat that portion of our lives with the dignity and respect it deserves. After all we each have only a finite supply of minutes within this mortal coil.

Should they spend it on a drug using young woman who continually gets pregnant because she trades the use of certain orifices of her body for money, which she uses to get high again, causing the "government" to have to step in and support her children because she is either not competent to, or simply shuffles off the responsibility to someone, anyone else.

Should we have to pay for the medical costs into the unforeseeable future for a young man, who in a fit of testosterone hands his beer to a friend and says "Watch this" and proceeds to dive into the shallow end of the pool, breaking his neck and severing his spinal cord at the 5th vertebra?

Do we have a responsibility to keep alive every person regardless of the shallowness of their gene pool?

I could go on and on with examples but, you probably tire of reading my drivel along about this time.

So I think I'll go check the back of my eyelids for signs of light leaking through.

I'd seriously like your ideas, if any on this subject. We may not come up with a better solution...........but then, who knows?

2 comments:

Jean said...

The people of our society, generally good and generous people, would probably do more and better to help deserving people in need, than any gov't programs. And, we would probably find ways to encourage those who might take advantage of the community generosity to become more responsible for themselves. Mostly.
We've allowed too many to be handed too much without earning it honestly. We are all paying that price. Too much for too long.
Is it too late? I hope not.

(congrats on getting your puter back.)

Anonymous said...

agree with both you and jean. too many people wanting to tell me how and when i should help my fellow man or woman. just how deep do they think our pockets are and who's to care for me after they have taken all my money (peices of my life as you said)