Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Was I wrong???

The following is a letter I just sent to Barnes & Noble booksellers.

23 July 2008


Leonard Riggio
Founder and Chairman
Barnes & Noble
122 Fifth Avenue, 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10011
e-mail: customerservice@bn.com

Dear Mr. Riggio,

Sir, it is not my custom to complain or get upset with the policies of the establishments with which I do business. But tonight I found an example of poor customer service in one of your stores which will influence me in the choice of book sellers which I frequent for a long time to come.

Briefly, I entered you store in Athens, Georgia this evening with the intention of buying a couple of books for my reading enjoyment. My needs are simple……I either buy novels of mystery or science fiction with a goodly helping of financial and investment advice books. My intention was to buy a couple ;of fiction novels for myself, and the book ‘Richest Man in Babylon’ for my grandson, whose 16th birthday is coming up, and I wanted a primer on wise money management to guide him into his early adulthood.

On one of the racks near the front of the store I came across books with the label

Buy 2
Get one free*
*of equal or lesser value

affixed to the front cover.

Knowing a good deal when I see one, I picked two fiction novels out for myself and proceeded to go and find the book for my grandson.
Two of the books were marked $7.99 and one was marked $6.99.

Feeling that I had satisfied the requirement of the label, there being nothing to indicate otherwise, either on the books themselves, or the stand on which they were displayed, I proceeded to the check out counter where I was informed, first by the clerk, and then by the manager, that my understanding of the English language was faulty and the label, cited above, did not mean I could buy 2 books and get one free, as long as it was of equal or lesser value, but instead that it applied only to books of that one rack. I pointed out that was not what the label said, and if the policy was different it should have been so indicated.

The Manager, Andrea, according to the name tag on her blouse, assumed the Deer-in-the-headlights look, and replied that I was mistaken.

Knowing that argument was futile, as she had no understanding of the concept of customer service, I left the three books on the counter, and exited the store.

Sir, I will gladly admit that it has been a long time since I last formally studied language and English, since I am 58 years old, a high school graduate with several hours of college credits from the University of Georgia, a veteran of war in service to my country in combat, and a self employed businessman for the last 33 years. But I don’t think the rules of language have changed that much.

I probably have been in that particular bookstore at least 3 times a month for the past two years and on average I probably spend $10 to $30 each time, so realize that I am a very miniscule portion of your yearly sales figures.

But, I must tell you sir, that in the future I will not be a customer of Barnes & Noble.
There are other bookstores in the area and I will avail myself of their services from now on.

I send this letter to you personally and to your customer service center. I will also post on my blog http://redhillkudzu.blogspot.com.

Should you wish to respond, I will also post that response to my blog, in fairness to you and your large corporation.

Sincerely,
A dissatisfied customer.


Name and address
withheld to protect the guilty.


I'll let you know if I have any response.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whenever I've seen a sale of that kind, there is ALWAYS a sign indicating whether it's limited to the items on that rack, to items by a certain author, whatever the "rules" are.

Good on you for saying what you needed to say.

Anonymous said...

I'm curious about what sort of thought process you followed that led you to assume that particular promotion applied to every other book in the store that was of equal or lesser value--whether it was so stickered or not. Do you also assume when you find a book that has a sticker that says "20% Off" that every other book in the store is 20% off even if it does not have a sticker that says so?? I don't think it was your understanding of the English language that was at fault, but rather your ability to think clearly and reason logically. Your reasoning here is what one might expect from an elementary school student rather than from someone of your years and experience.

kdzu said...

CC, you obviously were taught in government run schools. Words have specific meanings. If you do not convey any other information than what I had, yes, you may assume that any book of equal or lesser value would qualify. My ability to think and reason logically is not in question........rather the store and their employees. And now of course, you.

Northwoods Woman said...

Your use of the language in this letter is proof that you are a very intelligent man. Next time I need a letter written I'm coming to you!

Anonymous said...

Hey,

So you are upset and you are protesting unfairness. Bravo! The books are so marked down right now, you are one of their major customers but you don't realize it. Most people don't spend as much as you do on books! I just hope you get the books you need for your grandson.

Directions aren't very clear in the stores. I wish you had asked her to help you pick out books that are on sale, and why the manager thinks it is for a certain section only!
Peace and thanks for serving.

kdzu said...

Anonymous must be a bedwetting liberal. No reasoning capacity....
......just attack the messenger.

Anonymous said...

Bravo kdzu for not taking the disrespect of the store stooges!
This store and the chain should only survive if they provide good customer service. hope you find the book for your grandson.