Friday, January 23, 2009

Doing a little prospecting this morning




I wanted the gold, and I sought it,
I scrabbled and mucked like a slave.
Was it famine or scurvy -- I fought it;
I hurled my youth into a grave.
I wanted the gold, and I got it --
Came out with a fortune last fall, --
Yet somehow life's not what I thought it,
And somehow the gold isn't all.

Robert W. Service, The Spell of the Yukon



"There's gold, and it's haunting and haunting; it's luring me on as of old. But it's not the gold that I'm wanting, so much as just finding the gold."-Robert Service, 18-th century miner/poet.

http://www.geocities.com/heartland/bluffs/8336/robertservice/spell.htm


You have to be careful the 'Gold Fever' don't grab you by the 'nads and never let go.

2 comments:

Jean said...

One of the problems with letting ourselves get too greedy (IMHO), is that it takes up valuable space where used to be real priorities.

Anonymous said...

.... we are kindred, sir..... Robert Service is a huge favorite of mine.....

Eric