Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The back deck

.
I sit on the back deck after dark, watching the stars that manage to shine through the surrounding lights of houses and security lights. The air is warm and calm, belying the nearness of official winter only 9 days away.
Airplanes pass silently overhead from west to east, flashing their lights of white, green and blue.
She comes padding silently on bare feet to lean between my legs and rest her head upon my chest. Wordlessly demanding my attention, insisting that I stroke her head and neck, she is totally mesmerized by my touch, seemingly aware only of the touch of my hand and soft murmurs of affection, she arches her back and snuggles close as if to merge our two bodies into one.
We stay like that, enjoying one anothers company, the warm night air, the leafless white oak rising massive against the night sky, two tall thin pines standing silent sentinel by the back fence.
No irritating buzz of insects as in summer, only the distant bark and call of neighboring dogs. She has no hidden agenda, no ulterior motive........wanting only to be as near to me as she possibly can, touching and being touched. Love totally communicated, loyalty eternally pledged....peace surrounds us and calm washes over us like the warm waters of a jungle pool.

As I gaze into her eyes outlined in black against her white face......smoothing the hair behind her ears.............she looking lovingly back, then........

........licks my face.


Damn dog..........I think you need a bath.

3 comments:

Jean said...

Lucky dog.

Anonymous said...

.... heh.. most excellent!....

Eric

Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

I'm new, a comment on Jean's blog sent me here.

I have a dog, too. I think there is a reason that dog spelled backwards is God.

They love rightly.

Thank you for the thought.