Thursday, December 27, 2007

Uh-Oh

Here it comes. The post-coi.......er Christmas depression.

All that build up to the climax of the season. The excitement......the anticipation......the frantic rushing around to get everything done on time. Gifts bought....and wrapped. Lists made and carefully checked off so as not to miss anybody. Lights to hang.......and bulbs to replace. Bows and ribbons to carefully tie which will be ruthlessly ripped apart in a joyous, eager burst of conspicuous consumption.

And now.............

Every one has gone home or at least on their way. Farewells shouted and waves waved. Newly activated Tomtoms plugged in and programmed to get us home by the fastest route......one which we've traveled many times before.

We're gradually working our way through the last of the leftovers.....the sight of 3 day old turkey begins to make us slightly green around the gills.

We begin to see the old year come to a close and a new tax year approach.....I wonder if I can claim the cost of that new outbuilding??? And I wonder if the New Year will really bring anything new.......or different? Did I do the things I sat out to do at the beginning of the old year........WHY not? Should I make new plans or just try to finish some of the old?

Over a year ago I bought an old (relatively speaking) phonograph.....remember those?....with the intention of listening to recordings of Tchaikovsky’s symphonies Nos. 4, 5 and 6 by the Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra. Events (moving to Athens) forced us to store many things in a rental storage unit for lack of room in the new abode.

Now with the building in the back yard storing all the accumulated junk which isn't in the computer/sewing room, all that sits on a shelf. I think tomorrow would be a good day to dust off the record player and finally listen to the old queers work.

The No. 6 Symphony is called "Pathetique" which appropriately describes my dedication to actually doing the things I say I want to do.

Most often my regrets are of the things I neglected to do rather than the things I actually did. I've lived a varied life doing many different things. A 'Jack of all trades, and master of........well.....a few', and I intend to keep on doing things I want to do rather than those I have to do.

I just intend to do more of them next year. So what really started off as a depressed sort of post has kinda fired me up a little.

If you have things you've been putting off, better get started. None of us know when we'll be meeting up with those who've gone before. I hope when that meeting happens and they ask "Did you do all you could?", I'll be able to say "No.......but at least I gave it a shot".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How true the old saying about the best laid plans of mice and men. Where does the time go? And why is it that we let it slip by without accomplishing the things that we want to do. May we not let the most important go undone and that is letting the ones that we love know that we love them. I Love You Brother