Saturday, December 15, 2007

Home again........

.
...........jiggity jog.

Just returned from an overnight visit with the missus up to N.C. visiting daughter Joy and her family. An early Christmas visit as they will not be coming down here to Georgia this year because her husband has a doctors visit scheduled for the 26th. He had surgery on his neck in September to fuse 3 vertebrae damaged when another driver rear ended the work truck he was in. Several months of preoperative doctoring and physical therapy gave no relief and surgery was the only alternative. He's doing well but still not 100% with a good bit of pain yet.

Don't you just love the excitement of young children (they are 8 (girl) and 4 (boy) years old) when they get Christmas presents they really love. I had more fun watching them last night than would have seemed possible to me. Really put me in the Christmas spirit, especially listening to them unconsciously singing Christmas songs as they played.

Today we got some much needed rain which made for a dreary and cool day.

I was a little anxious about leaving so late from their home since my eyes still see halo's around oncoming car lights at night after the lasix vision correction. But we made it mostly OK.

Well.........if you discount the fact that I didn't quite get slowed down in time to miss the second deer about 20 miles away from home. The Red Ram 1500 showed only a slight bit of damage to the front bumper, but I'll bet the deer fared somewhat worse due to being smacked at about 35 miles per hour by a 5000 pound truck and then run over by the wheels. By the time we got away from the little bit of traffic and found a spot to look for damage the deer was either off to the side where we couldn't find it or made it farther than one would expect. Glad it didn't happen on I 85 while doing 70 in heavy traffic and rain. That probably wouldn't have been a pretty sight.

We did see the result of 3 different crashes on the way home, caused no doubt, by the combination of speed and wet highway. No one hurt apparently but one sporty little car in particular won't ever see the highway again.

Hope you all arrive safely if you travel during the Christmas holidays.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to know that you made it home safe. May all your days of Christmas be so merry.

Jean said...

A wonderful way to spend the weekend! Until the drive home, that is.
Glad you made it ok.

GUYK said...

Heck, ya should have stopped and bled it out!

How do ya like that Red Ram..I have a 2006 that I am well satisfied with..just wish now I had got the hemi instead of the baby V 8

kdzu said...

Hey Guy, I like the Ram. It's a 2000 I bought used in Sept 2000, and it already had 35K on it. It's now pushing 300K and still runs good and has only given me minor trouble.......mostly with the cooling system. Of course running up and down dirt roads for 6 of those years caused the radiator to leak. I've had a few dings to the body and hit 3 deer with it. The bumpers could use some beefing up in my opinion, but they work as designed......to lessen the impact to the rest of the vehicle. I have the 5.6 liter and it gives me all the power I need.

GUYK said...

I had a 96 Supercab Red Ram Laramie 150 with the 318 V8 that was a power house..the best all around pickup I ever had..rode and drove like an automobile and had very few maintenance problems with it..had over 170,000 when I traded for a 2000 four door Laramie 150 which I also like and put 77,000 on it...

Dodges have made a believer out of me. Here in my part of Florida we can buy the equivilant pickup in a Ford or Chey for a thousand dollars or so cheaper than the Dodges but I believe I see more newer Dodge pickups on the road than I do anything else.