Friday, May 16, 2008

Comfort food

An old radio talk show host Ludlow Porch used to say that there were two kinds of sandwiches which beat all other for soothing a soul.

I'm eating one now.........A banana sandwich! Ludlow would not approve I'm sure since I'm eating it on wheat bread instead of white. I did have some "Blue Plate" mayo to slather thickly over the bread. Both sides........I don't see how people think a sandwich is complete with mayo on only one side of the sandwich.

Ludlow also liked a good tomato sandwich. Same white bread and Blue Plate Mayonnaise
........and a fresh, home grown, vine ripened in the sun tomato.
Again I go with the wheat bread.....because that is what I like. If it's done right the juice from the tomato and the mayonnaise will run down your arm plumb to the elbow.
It's your choice as to whether you lick it off yourself or let the hound dog do it for you.

These are some of what I consider "Comfort" foods. Those things that transport you to a different frame of reference.......perhaps back to your childhood.......or a less stressful time.

We need these little touches in our lives. They help to re-center us....if only for a few minutes. They are like gentle fingers on our soul. Touching us like a person who cares.


There is a primal reassurance in being touched, in knowing that someone else, someone close to you, wants to be touching you. There is a bone-deep security that goes with the brush of a human hand, a silent, reflex-level affirmation that someone is near, that someone.......cares.

How sad it is to have the feeling that, lately, you've barely been touched at all.

If that's the case..........a banana sandwich and a glass of milk will help.

Trust me. And "Whatever else you do today, you find somebody to be nice to."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the joys of a fresh from the garden tomato sandwich. There is truly nothing like it and a sweet banana sandwich comes in a close second, with mayo not peanut butter like the hubby likes it.

US said...

Mama said it. I remember eating some mater sandwiches on the farm with tomatoes Granny grew that were so big it only took one slice. Now, I make my own bread (whole wheat) and grow my own tomatoes! Oh and banana sandwiches are best with Hellman's (Best Food's here in the Rockies).

LBJ said...

Mom used to make us grilled peanut butter sandwiches. No banana, just peanut butter and honey, she'd butter both sides of the bread and grill it, the honey would carmelize and make the bread crunchy sweet.

Still make one once in a while when I'm coming down with cold and feeling puny.

Kat said...

silly me...and here i was thinking wine & chocolate would do the trick. One nanner sandwhich comin up! definitley need one today!