Thursday, May 15, 2008

Update on the tranny

You know that when the mechanic lowers his eyes and shakes his head that the news is going to be NOT what you were hoping to hear.
Actually he had told me he'd look at it yesterday and call me today. So I waited...
as one does when afoot. No word.
After lunch I borrowed the wife's car and went to the bank, the stopped by the garage.
Truck was still in the parking lot. He claimed he'd cranked it up and it did just exactly like I'd told him it would.
Nothing.....
Nada........
Zip....
Zilch.....
Squat....

Then the bad news, of which I'd already had a pretty good guess.

Newly rebuilt will cost about $1500 with a $650 core charge......payable in advance to include the core charge even though we'll carry the old one with us when we go pick it up.

More bad news.......it'll take over a week to get here.

There was a time in this country when you could call the supplier and they'd have just about anything you wanted in stock. Couple of days and it was sitting at your door.

Now in the "Just in time Era" Just in time means they won't start to put it together until you order and pay for it. People talk about the "Good old days".......and they were.

So I'm reduced to bumming the wife's car for a while.

Maybe I'll find her a bicycle at a flea market somewhere.

1 comment:

Jean said...

At least try to find a tricycle with a big basket! Have a heart
:-)

Sometimes I really, really hate vehicles.