Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Just Damn!!!

There I am, cruising south on 441 with the cruise control set at 65 on the Jag, minding my own freaking business when a yearling Turkey Vulture , or Buzzard as we call them here, hops off a deer carcass and crashes directly into the lower left part of the windshield.

Oh, no doubt he's dead. Sounded like you had dropped a dead body from the top of the Super Bowl.

Spider web cracks about a foot across. Lucky no damage other than that.

Does anyone know where I can get a cheap windshield for a '98 Jag XJ8?

I generally have good feelings towards buzzards. They provide a valuable service of helping rid the country side of decaying carcasses. I mean they'll eat till they have to puke and then go right back to eating. Get so gorged that they can't fly. Likely what happened to this guy. Over max gross weight and tried to take off downwind.

But, man can they soar when they get into the air. As an old fling wing driver, I have to admire their ability to ride the wind. It'd almost be worth eating dead rotting, bloated carrion just to be able to fly like that.

1 comment:

Kat said...

Yikes!!! Glad you are ok! Sorry 'bout the windshield tho. :( As for where to get a windshield repaired... dunno. :( I had one replaced about 3 years ago, but can't for the life of me recall who fixed it for me... ack...

On a completely unrelated note - I was on 441 myself heading south, back in December, going to the "Wreaths Across America" ceremony at the Veteran's Memorial Cemetary in Milledgeville... fog so bad you couldn't hardly see a darn THING! Ack!