Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Traditions

.
Ask most anyone who knows me at all and they'll likely tell you I'm an opinionated, stubborn, throwback to a different time and era. Is this a bad thing?

Do any of you remember when singers could sing and enunciate the words at the same time. I know that it's not just because i need bionic ears.........really I only got them so the wife would stop shouting at me. What I really need are mufflers for the ringing in my ears and the advertising jingles that repeat over, and over, and over, like an eight year old in the backseat of a '59 Mercury repeating endlessly "are we there yet?"...........sort of like me when I read the directions on the shampoo bottle........."Lather, rinse, repeat.......Lather, rinse, repeat....Lather, rinse, repeat.......

Anyway, I was driving the Red Ram around the highways and byways and on the radio (AM.....OK......it's my radio) comes this caterwauling and screeching like I'd never heard before. I pull over to the side and try to figure out what's wrong with the speakers.........till I realize there's nothing wrong on this end, but on the other end is some diva or other (maybe that Cilon Dejon Canadian twig) singing her version of Silent Night. Every other word....and it's in French or some foreign sounding heathen tongue (she's Canadian fer Christ's sake, an English Commonwealth country, speak English stupid)..........she's shrilling like a cat with her tail caught under a rocking chair..........hitting notes that would crack a walnut much less crystal. I mean this broad (Ha nothing wide about her) is trying to impress everyone with how long she can go between breaths.........or when we'll stuff our fingers in our ears.

What happened to the good old days when you could listen to a song and the beauty and emotion came through with the clarity of the words.

Something like ol' Bing here.........



Or even that Redheaded cowgirl, Reba



Don't go messing with my Traditions

3 comments:

Jean said...

Sometimes there is nothing truer than "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Celine makes my ears hurt.

TexasFred said...

My God, a REAL American...

Merry Christmas to you kudzu, it's always good to find others like me...

kdzu said...

Come on back any time Fred. I have fond memories of Texas. Still have a picture in my mind of one of the most beautiful women I ever saw walking down the street in Mineral Wells.