Monday, July 06, 2009

A new day......A new week

Well actually the new week started yesterday, but since I'm up early this morning it feels like the start of a new week today.

We all gathered for a memorial to the late BIL yesterday. Cried our tears, laughed our laugh and looked at pictures of a 72 year long life. Then we stuffed ourselves with food provided by the ladies of the church he and the SIL attended.

The stuffing with food is a pretty good way to say........we'll miss you ol' boy.....but life goes on.

Woke up a bit early for me....about 5:30. Normally I'm good till 6:30 or 7:00, but the wife stayed the night with her sister and so it was just the pooch and me in the king sized bed and he doesn't snore enough to keep me lulled I guess. So I'll make and early start...check the local news and set down the cereal for me and the ol' Grump.

I'm working on a homemade refractory furnace out at the shop building. Using an old 30 lb propane tank I've cut the top off and filled the bottom with cement leaving a paint can sized hole in the middle to take the graphite crucible holding the metals to be melted. An eight inch long iron pipe nipple inserted at the bottom will direct the propane flame around the crucible heating it (hopefully, if I've done it anywhere close to right) up to around 2500 to 3000 degrees F. I'll only need it to reach about 2000 degrees or so for my purposes.

I had to order a special concrete and thought that a 55 lb. bag would be plenty. I was really surprised to find that it wasn't enough to insulate the lid as well and I'll have to order another 55 lb. bag just to finish that part of the project. (that being the smallest amount I can order. One thing about it.....it'll be too heavy to move around too much.

I'll try to post pictures so you can see what I'm talking about.

That will start the day and I'm sure I'll find something else to do before lunch.






As promised a couple pictures of the furnace I'm building.
The first picture shows the lid swung open on the pin type hinge.
The second picture shows how much cement I yet have to fill in the lid.

No comments: