Monday, April 09, 2007

Here there be monsters

Does anyone remember the old drawing of the world before Columbus showed that the earth was really round and not flat, which showed the extent of the then known world and past that the above inscription.

The internet is sorta like that. All the edges have not been explored or probably even imagined. And the old warning has some validity today.

I posted the Aquamarine and Platinum bracelet I wrote about finding a few weeks ago on Craigslist. Nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say. A couple of days later email received apparently from a very interested buyer. Willing to pay more than I asked for me to take the posting off and deal with him.
I'm always ready to deal, but mama didn't raise me to be quite as dumb as I look. I merely replied that I'd be glad to take his money.
Wonderful was the reply. He was on a trip but his business partner would be sending me a check....send address to which it would be sent. No problem, although I did notice that the language was a little off for a native born american. Back came the reply that his partner owed him $3500 and he would send that to me and would I please send the bracelet as it was to be a wedding present. And if I would be so kind to forward the remaining money to his wife in North Carolina.

Alarms went off like the shuttle from Canaveral.

I replied that if he would be so kind as to send me good funds for the exact amount in either cash, a good check, or Gold rounded off the the nearest 1/10th oz, that I would be glad to send the bracelet as soon as the funds cleared into my account or the gold was assayed for purity.

Needless to say, I didn't hear back from him, but the next day another very similar email came from a different address wanting to do somewhat the same.

My reply was much the same and I haven't heard from him either.

I posted it on ebay and have had a few people look at it and want more information. Should you care to see it, go to here

Be careful out there folks, for "Here there be Monsters".

No comments: