Sunday, July 06, 2008

Priorities

.
Whether misplaced or not can have a huge impact on, not only our lives, but those around us.

Too much emphasis on work, for instance, can lead to the alienation of affections of our spouses and children. It might get us high marks from our employers.........but not so much from a higher judge.

Some say 'judge not, lest you be judged'. And that is the final word. Others interpret the same words as 'judge not unrighteous judgment, lest the same judgment will judge you'. I think most of us want mercy rather than judgment............even if we are not so quick to grant the same to others.

Whence cometh this bout of naval gazing, you might ask? Where indeed? sayest I.

Perhaps from Here.

Leona Helmsley had certainly been judged by others and found wanting. Enough so that she was incarcerated to teach her a lesson. Whether it changed her mind about people I can't say. But, it seemed she at least loved her dog. To my way of thinking that gives her at least a few points on the positive side of the scoreboard.

I have no idea how her family and relatives saw her. Possibly simply as a source of money when she kicked the proverbial bucket...........possibly they truly grieved as children and grandchildren. I'll bet you one thing though...........I'll bet that her favorite dog considered her it's favorite human. And grieved when the realization that she wasn't coming back set in.

My Dalmatian bitch doesn't care that I don't always speak kindly to her when I'm preoccupied with other matters...........she just eats it up when I'll take the time to sit on the steps and stroke her head and ears and speak softly to her. If I forget to take the dog crunchies out to her in the evening, she greets me just as joyfully the next morning. When I'm feeling put upon, she'll always come running up to me with a doggie smile on her face. And will climb up in my lap if I let her, just so I know she likes to be around me.

It seems that Gracie always has her priorities in order.........even when I don't.

And that's all I've got to say about that.

1 comment:

Northwoods Woman said...

absolutely perfectly beautiful!