Thursday, May 08, 2008

Blessings

The old gospel song reminds us to "Count your Blessings"

A helpful reminder when we get to feeling a little down or think that maybe our luck is not so good.

I confess that more times than not I tend to forget to remember.
And then something or somethings come that make me think about all that I have and am blessed by every day.

Like a lot of old Vets.......when I came marching home there were no bands.....no banners........just a wife and child, a mother and sisters...that were glad to see me with all my fingers and toes. We tried very hard to ignore the grubby, tye-dyed, long haired hippy types in the concourse who spat words designed to curse us.

But we heard.........and could never forget. Not even nearly 40 years later.

But times change......we change......there are new conflicts which require that some go and serve so that others may have the privilege of disagreeing with them......out loud and in public. And this time, those of us who remember and the generations to follow are a little more vocal in their support.

I've received two gifts in the last week......both of which are huge blessings in my life.

The first from a wonderful lady in Loganville, GA whose commitment to support our troops in harms way goes way past writing letters to the troops currently in the field. She also goes out of her way to try to ease some of the pain still remaining from long ago wars. You can go to her website HERE to get an idea of all she does. And perhaps you may be moved to support her and others like her.

Hero's come in all kinds of packages.......Even beautiful young women who also care for a family and work a full time job.

This is what she sent me........





Thank You Mama Kat

The second Blessing that I received, came from my Brother-in-law and Sister up in Maine.

I've written before of how they have three fine sons..........Young men of exceptional character....who have all made the commitment to serve their country by joining the army. Two have already served a tour in Iraq.........the youngest just landed in Kuwait to ship out to his unit somewhere in Iraq.

Before he left he posed with, what he calls "a cobra like Uncle Larry flew in Vietnam". I hate to tell him that even that one is newer than the ones I flew. But I am proud that he thought of me.

This is him at Ft. Drum.



And just before shipping overseas, with his arm around his mother...
.....my sister, who is from the looks of her.....about 30 yrs younger than me.



If you will..........say a prayer now and again for the blessings of the fine young men and women in our armed services...........and for the parents who raised them.

I know I will.

8 comments:

DD said...

Kat Orr is a wonderful lady. Thanks for mentioning her in your blog. She just does nice things without expecting anything...a great person from everything I've seen.

Jean said...

If I know you, Larry, that pin and Kat's note brought tears to your eyes. What a wonderful lady she is!

I will be saying thanks for your nephews, their parents and you and all the folks who have and are protecting our freedom.
(Your sis is a beauty!)

kdzu said...

Of course not, Jean. Manly men of my generation do not shed tears.
"We drive our enemies before us and listen to the wailing and lamentations of their women".
2 points given for identifying that quote

LBJ said...

"CYROPAEDIA -THE EDUCATION OF CYRUS"
by XENOPHON (translated from the Greek)

??

You are rightly proud and should be. My brothers are all military men, had I not been so very nearsighted I would have been a military pilot myself.

kdzu said...

Conan.........of Conan the Barbarian fame.
Just a little while before the Governator went into politics.

Anonymous said...

"Manly men of my generation do not shed tears."

Ah, my dear & treasured friend, I must respectfully beg to differ here.. I've stood side-by-side with MANY manly men of your generation, as they shed tears of sorrow and joy as well - MANY times... so, I'm not buyin the "no cryin'" bit here. ;)

And... speaking of cryin, yes, I'm doing my fair share here right now. I'm so glad the heart pin touched YOUR heart... somehow, I knew I had to get it to you, I knew it was MEANT for you... knowing that it did indeed do just that and bless you, makes me a very happy Mama Kat. :) God works in mysterious ways....

Anonymous said...

thank you uncle larry for posting that about me and my brothers. please continue to pray for me, my brothers and most of all my parents

Anonymous said...

Seth, you are in ALL of our prayers...hang in there - if you need anything, please just holler...will be glad to send you whatever you need! Even if it's just some good old-fashioned letters. :)

Kat
Jeffskat@gmail.com
www.OperationLoveFromHome.org