Saturday, May 24, 2008

Collectibles.......or Not

.
As a counter point to my post of earlier this month, I was going through some of the junk I accumulated this week.

Let's see..........8 more nice graded silver Dollars,
2 sets of sterling sliver hair brushes and mirrors
2 old India motif sterling silver cigarette lighter cases, one with lighter inside.

What's this......an old Dunhill sterling silver lighter......maybe something on ebay about that..

And I'll be damned, a couple of silver cigarette cases........one of them with an engraving of the Indian Sub-Continent before Pakistan raised a little ruckus to become independent, and one of the largest migrations in history occurred, as about 30 million Muslim people moved from the lower, newly divided, Hindu India, to be with their religious brethren. Supposedly they are now our allies......but they bare watching in my opinion.

Still it dates the case to before 1947.

So all these things were added to my piles of junk. Some to be stored in, I guess, a collection....since the time is not yet ripe to sell........and others.....just taking up space until I figure out some way to sell them, or I forget about them....
........whichever comes first.

Some wise guy wrote a book a few years ago, and made a fortune, called "Trash or Treasure. It's funny how true that is. To some it's junk, worthy only of being sweep out of the house. To others......... why they make a living, or at least a little on the side, selling these same items to others who, for whatever reason, want possession for just a little while.

Here is a conundrum for you.........Who is more free?......the one who collects items, or, the one who discards them? Why?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

... if you wish to offload one of those silver cigarette cases, let me know.... I still smoke unfiltered Camels....

Eric