Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Perhaps.......

.
.....Just perhaps, some parts of the Immigration bill may make sense. I'm going to reserve any change of opinion till I have more information, but if, and I repeat If what I read on drudge is correct I might be swayed.

The bill would give temporary legal status to millions of unlawful immigrants, provided they came forward, paid a fine and underwent criminal background checks. To apply for a green card, they would have to pay another fine, learn English, return to their home country and wait in line.

The plan also would create a guest worker program. It would allow foreign laborers to come to the U.S. for temporary stints, yet with no guarantee they can eventually gain citizenship.


I have said all along that the illegals have to be identified in some fashion and return to their home country and apply to come here. The problem becomes how to identify them. This is eased if (a big if) some of them will come forward voluntarily. How many will is a good question. If not they should be sought vigorously. With strict penalties on employers who use them shouldn't be real hard.

temporary legal status to millions of unlawful immigrants, provided they came forward, paid a fine and underwent criminal background checks.

This part is a little disturbing. Seems to make no provision to return them home and then have them apply. Hope it's not a get out of jail free card.

At least we forced Mordor to allow us time to debate the actual bill, and make our opinion known. Vigilance is a small price to pay to try and maintain a semblance of actually being a Representative Republic.

Least 'at's th' way it looks here in the kudzu. What say ye?

2 comments:

Cat is my co-pilot said...

Hi! :) They broke laws to enter and remain in the US already--is it reasonable to expect enough of them to honor the letter of this agreement? I don't know...

kdzu said...

Nor do I. I do know that the citizens of this country will not stand for Jackboot style rounding up of any group, no matter how much you might disagree with how they got here. Hell, I'm probably as close as you can get to Anarchist, and I wouldn't.