Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Late in th' Day

It's a little late in the day for a Veterans Day post I guess.

I want to thank all those in my family who emailed to wish me a happy day. Thank you.

And Thanks to all the Veterans who have served The Constitution of the United States; for that is the heart of the Oath we take...

“I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.”

They never release you from that Oath. Oh you can chose to ignore it if you wish, but there is no swearing out ceremony. From that moment on you are a part of the brotherhood of (to be PC here we'll also include sisterhood) arms..

As I am wont to do, I've spent a little time reading about Liberty and Freedom today. One essayist that touched me the most, because she actually gives thought to the things Freedom means is Claire Wolfe. Actually living Free can be tough. Is it worth it? That's for each of us to decide for ourselves. I know one thing..... a lot of Veterans feel that it is. For that, I salute them, and say Thank You.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Larry, I do hope that your Veterans Day was a good one. I thank you for your service and your patriotic spirit.